 Local / United States / New York / Binghamton / 56
Re: Stuck in a wheelchair (was Re: Lego pet peeve)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.bin, lugnet.loc.us.ny.uti
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 18:22:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kenneth A. Drumm, Ph.D. writes:
   What is your biggest Lego pet peeve?
   It can be anything. Examples include but are not limited to:
quality, Lego name misuse, stepping on bricks, cost,
availability, not introducing sets all over at the same time(Bionicle)
or whatever else you can think of.

   I'll start out with my Lego pet peeve: dropping an element:
I'm in a wheelchair, my legs don't work correctly and my back is
fused in three places so I can barely bend over to do my shoes
let alone pick up an element. I have to roll at least two feet away,
crawl over, pick it up, crawl back, haul myself back into the chair
and then roll back to where I was. Sure I have one of those
grabber things but it don't work well on plush carpeting when you
need to pick up a round 1x1 plate.
   So that's my pet peeve. What's yours?

Is your mobility status permanent or is there improvement in sight?

I ask because I, too, am currently stuck in a wheelchair.  Due to a major motor
vehicle crash in December I have temporarily lost the use of my left Leg and
right Hand.  My total injuries included massive fracture (bones pulverized) to
my right hand and wrist; compound fractured (also pulverized) left tibia and
fibula; and simple fractures to the right tibia/fibula.  Fortunately no
internal injuries and my knees, ankles, and finger joints were not damaged.

This happened in December and I am just now stable enough to move around with a
modified walker (called platform walker) and modified crutches (also platform).
I am being released from inpatient orthopedic rehabilitation on April 19 to
finish my recovery at home.  I have one more surgery to undergo on my wrist
bones and hopefully my left leg will now heal sucessfully after three
surgeries to repair the bone union.

Having severly restricted mobility and dexterity has seriously reduced my level
of enjoyment I get from creating with Lego bricks; instead I suffer mild
anxiety and severe anger and frustration.  Each time I visit my home and
manage to get to the Lego room (upstairs) I quickly become very agitated and
annoyed.  And my language cannot be repeated here or anywhere.

My pet peeve with Lego is not about Lego or its products, it is with the
reality that I have one leg and one hand that I cannot use to get around.
Anyone got plans for a handicapped AFOL support group ?

__Kevin Salm__
...Lego enthusiast for over 20 years, disabled for 15 weeks...