 Local / Australia / 3870
Re: MUGs/BUGs attending STUDfest 2001.1 in NSW
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 02:01:33 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
Do we have a definite date or not for this STUDfest? Originally it was 4 Feb
but now there is a lot of talk about the Australia day long weekend.

It's just that I was planning on flying down, probably on a ticket redeemed
with frequent flyer points that will expire soon if I don't use them. This
means that I need to book soon and I will probably not have a ticket that is
easy to change. Hence I'd like to know whether we have a definite date or
not.

Personally I would prefer the weekend of 4 Feb because the Australia Day
long weekend is still part of the school holidays for all states, whereas 4
Feb is only school holidays for western NSW, ACT, Tas, & WA, so it will be a
lot easier to get flights and accommodation for Sydney for the weekend of 4
Feb than Australia Day weekend. However, I appreciate that if people are
driving from Melbourne, then you will really need the long weekend to do it.

While the ballots are being counted (hey, is that a dimpled chad?) may I
request 28 January for STUDSfest VIII? I don't think I will be able to come
on 4 Feb (it will probably be my last birthday in Sydney for a few years, if
PhD stuff works out okay).

--Dave