 Local / Australia / 3835
Re: Interstate dudes and dudettes at SF VII
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 22:35:26 GMT

Ross Crawford wrote in message ...

So, MUGS, how many takers do we have? The problem (as I see it) is time - • how
long does it take to drive to Sydney (I've never done it)? If we want to • see
the Powerhouse as well, I think it'd be impossible to do it in a weekend, • and
even if we share the driving, we're gonna be pretty nackered by the time we • get
back.

Well, the trip from Richard's place to mine was a nine-and-a-half-hour trip,
but non-stop it would be around eight hours, considering the time spent
stopping to look for Lego in country shops ;-)
That, incidentally, is something I was definitely planning to do this time
also. Indeed I view it as an obligation to seek out any possible Lego that
any of us might deem worthy of possession, either directly or indirectly
(i.e. we pass it on once we get to the STUDfest). On my last trip there were
quite a few sets that I passed on to STUDS (which happened to be Richard and
Pete W, but the principle is there). Once I exceeded my (then hefty) budget
I still made a note of what I saw along the way.

With that in mind, I was planning to take the Friday and Monday off, and
spend three nights' accomodation (at various places as yet unchosen),
spending all day Friday travelling, stopping at all/most towns along the
way, then staying overnight somewhere, spending Saturday morning travelling
around (as yet unplanned locations) looking for Lego again. I know that's a
lot of driving around looking in shops but folks, that's how you find the
good Lego - I've done a lot of looking and I've found a lot of really good
Lego sets (for myself and others) as a result.
Saturday afternoon could be spent doing just about anything, I don't know.
Sightseeing! Sunday would obviously be spent at the STUDfest, staying the
third night somewhere nearby. Monday morning I would head back to Melbourne,
which obviously takes all day but that way it's a fairly comfortable day
trip and no sleep is compromised, with the added bonus that the trip there
and back is fully during business hours ;-)

Oh, and if we go in my car, I'd be doing all the driving ;-)

Personnaly, I can probably arrange to get the Monday off, and if people • think
we can drive up, visit the Powerhouse, got to SF VII, and drive back, I'm • happy
to give it a go...

I wasn't actually planning to visit the Powerhouse, in fact I wasn't
planning to actualy go into Sydney at all... last time I went up there it
was all traffic/crowds and very little Lego :-(  So how good _is_ this
display?

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164