 General / 9761
Re: Wild West ?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 02:55:56 GMT

[x-posted to lugnet.western, although it's a bit late now.]

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999 21:53:13 GMT, "David Eaton" <deaton@intdata.com> wrote:

Well, here in the US, the Wild West sets have just sat on the shelves! Nobody's
been buying them (same with Insectoids and UFO), and a lot of stores have been
putting them on sale to try and get them out... I'm guessing that overall they
didn't really do that well sales-wise.

Actually, I seem to remember reports that the first wave of Western sets were
huge sellers.  The main sets--6769 Fort Legoredo, 6765 Gold City Junction, 6755
Sheriff's Lockup and 6761 Bandits' Secret Hideout--didn't seem to sit around for
very long.  At least, not around here.  But I think after the first wave of
success, TLG over-estimated the demand for Western sets, and so made too many of
the second wave of sets, both the follow-on bandit & cavalry sets, and the
Indian sets.

The Indian sets were generally not as interesting/exciting/compelling, partially
because of severe overpricing.  I wonder if they presented TLG with a
political-correctness challenge, considering that they wouldn't want to provoke
major controversy here in the States.  So TLG didn't show the Indians
interacting with bandits or cavalry or western town-folk, and they didn't show
the Indians fighting much (except to spring traps on each other).  All in all,
it made a pretty weak (unnamed) play theme.

Steve