 General / 9683
Re: Wild West ?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 15:12:11 GMT

David Eaton wrote:

In lugnet.general, Daniel van Berkel writes:
Hey everybody, Gotta Question...
Does anyone know why the wild-west series have been cancelled...?
I Know people in Europe rather loved it...I hoped that it would become a
complete theme with stations, farms and at least a saloon....
Does anyone have a slightest idea why it has been cancelled.

Well, here in the US, the Wild West sets have just sat on the shelves! Nobody's
been buying them (same with Insectoids and UFO), and a lot of stores have been
putting them on sale to try and get them out... I'm guessing that overall they
didn't really do that well sales-wise.

I know I wasn't buying them because I was never particularly interested in
starting to collect a whole new theme, and personally I didn't find it that
enthralling... but I have started to pick up some of the Indian sets now that I
know some of the great pieces they come with, and since they're on sale, too!

DaveE

Interestingly enough, Europeans just love anything to do with the American West, be
it Cowboys and Indians, or any other related topic.  Back in the 60's and 70's one
of the most popular TV shows in Europe was Bonanza (Virgina City Nevada - circa
1870).  So naturally these sets are probably more popular over there.  It's like us
Americans going over to Europe and going gung-ho over castles and cathedrals.  And
to paraphrase a 10 year old German boy "if you've seen one Cathedral, you've seen
them all".  (Not my personal feelings, my goal is to actually go see them all.)

Off on a tangent.
Gary Istok