 General / 9639
Re: Theme longevity? (Was: Wild West ?!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 22:38:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeremy Sproat writes:
Daniel van Berkel wrote:
What do u think of the way Lego creates a new theme evry 3 years?
If only they would go for a few themes and dig into them a bid further....
Like town, space and some early theme .

What I'd like to know is around when the 3 year period came about.  Certainly
some time after 1987, when Blacktron, among the first official themes, was
introduced.  Also, not every series is limited to teh 3 year itch.  One that
comes readily to mind is the Star Wars theme -- it's ready to go another six
years!

Hmm, I can't say when the trend started - it was in my dark ages. :/

What I'm trying to lead up to is: how concrete of a policy is TLG's 3 year
period?  Does anyone else feel that it's liable to change without warning?

I think TLG has/is sticking to it pretty closely - although the rotation
period seems to vary a bit - Adventurers seems to be a one year cycle, for
example.

But we have yet to see if TLG will stick to the rotation with Star Wars - it
may well be (un-freakin-likely, in this reporters opinion) that after two
years, we won't see any more Ep4 or Ep1 sets.  In any case, I think Star Wars
can be considered an exception to the rule.  All the other ones seem to be
following the rotation.

Western seems to be an example of a 'system' that didn't work, so it got
retired after one 'sub'theme', as opposed to say, Castle, or Adventurer's
which both appear to be entering a new 'sub-theme' in '00

$0.02

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/