 General / 9690
9689  |  9691
Subject:
Medieval towns (was Re: Wild West ?!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 17:32:23 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary R. Istok writes:

What I would like to see in LEGO is a cross between Town and Castle.  A sort
of European Medieval Town theme, such as Rothenburg, Carcassone, York or
Avila.  You could have medieval town buildings, some City Walls, maybe some
roadplates with a crooked street plan.

Oh yes yes, cobblestones or unpaved roads with curves and intersections just
like the townie ones... perhaps even on 16x32 or 16x16 plates, since the
streets were so narrow then.  Maybe a marketplace, or a public hanging; streets
of certain trades, like weavers, moneychangers, taverns or the red light
district (since we'll have appropriate minifigs in the new year :-) An
operation like a tannery or brewery, slightly bigger perhaps, but still at the
commoner level.  "Pillars of the Earth" comes to mind... perhaps not the most
historically accurate source, but very colourful and detailed.  A cathedral
under construction, as it was for most of the book, complete with workmen,
might be more interesting as part of a city scene than a completed one.

I also want to make the White Ship one of these days.  A good chance to put the
Pirates' shipwright skills to use in a Castle setting.

So many ideas, so few bricks and time...

Heather Patey
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Pirate Wench / Brick Detective