 General / 8508
Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 00:03:48 GMT

There is alot of pirated stuff on eBay. Music CDs, VCDs, DVDs, Videos and
more....Someone was selling alot of pirated software and they even mentioned
it in big letters but no one cared so the auction went on and sold for 1000
something dollars...

--

Z. Unger
dzz@mindspring.com

Michael Huffman <mhuffman@mindspring.com> wrote in message
Kevin Loch wrote:

Here is the response from Ebay:

We have reviewed the auction you have brought to our attention and taken
appropriate action.  We would also like to explain eBay's policy with
respect to reports like yours.  eBay is not in a position to make
judgments about the authenticity or authorized nature of auction items,
except in the most extreme circumstances.  This may mean that we cannot
remove the item about which you contacted us.

[snip rest of canned response]

What the hell is up with eBay?  This doesn't sound like them.  There
was an auction that I bid on that was a pirated copy of a movie, but
it didn't "sound" like it was pirated in item's description; though
it didn't deny it either -- I think eBay was tipped off by another
bidder & eBay didn't hesitate to can the auction...  I wonder by
what criteria that they choose to can one auction & not another; then
they claim not to be "in a position to make judgments"; no body
in their right mine would say "Pirated CD/Movie for sale".

Hmm... interesting stance that eBay is taking; hiding behind vague
legalized statements.

--Mike.