 General / 9182
Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 02:59:56 GMT

John DiRienzo <ig88888888@stlnet.com> wrote:
  I don't think it is illegal to buy or sell CDs with Lego instructions
scans - I've bought six such CDs from various sources.  Unlike video tapes
which all have the FBI warning and software which always has the user
agreement, Lego has a fairness policy.  In selling the scans on CDs, the
seller is not doing anything illegal (or unfair) as long as the scans are of

I don't mean to be harsh, but this attitude is very likely to make TLG
reconsider their very liberal fair-use policy. I've got issues with the
trademark/domain clause, which I'm sure you've all heard. But I think the
copyright part is extremely clear, and extremely generous.

They have NOT relinquished their copyright nor released the instructions to
the public domain. They do provide permission for publishing scans of their
instructions on web sites under certain circumstances. And "non-commercial"
is one of their requirements.

They don't mention anything about distributing data on CDs, and they
certainly don't allow selling anything.

<URL:http://www.lego.com/info/fair.asp>