 General / 9184
Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 03:25:59 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote in message ...
John DiRienzo <ig88888888@stlnet.com> wrote:
  I don't think it is illegal to buy or sell CDs with Lego instructions
scans - I've bought six such CDs from various sources.  Unlike video tapes
which all have the FBI warning and software which always has the user
agreement, Lego has a fairness policy.  In selling the scans on CDs, the
seller is not doing anything illegal (or unfair) as long as the scans are • of

I don't mean to be harsh, but this attitude is very likely to make TLG
reconsider their very liberal fair-use policy. I've got issues with the
trademark/domain clause, which I'm sure you've all heard. But I think the
copyright part is extremely clear, and extremely generous.

   I don't intend to sound harsh, either, but...
   Well, I have not heard your issues with the trademark/domain clause - or
if I have, I forgot.  Still, I don't think TLG is going to close the
brickshelf down or get on anybody's case because someone decides to sell CDs
with old Lego instructions scans.  The trading of these CDs is nearly as
common in Europe as the use of Brickshelf is in the US - reason - people in
Europe don't/can't spend hours downloading the scans like we do/can.  I have
bought several such CDs from European sellers (because I don't like
downloading for hours either and these guys took the time to do it or had
scans that I could not download anywhere), who advertised openly, who never
had a complaint directed at them by TLG.  The fact that TLG hasn't
complained means A) they don't care or B) they don't care enough to look for
it and do something about it.  Either way, they don't care, and thus why (or
how legally could) eBay take any other stance?  So, thats that.

They don't mention anything about distributing data on CDs, and they
certainly don't allow selling anything.

   Don't allow... what about when you buy an old set with color copied
instructions or scans on disk?  Think about it.  Where does it say you can
do that?  Where does it say you can't?

Quotes 'R' Us                       ---> • http://quotes-r-us.org/

--
   Have fun!