 General / 8491
Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:47:38 GMT

Here is the response from Ebay:

We have reviewed the auction you have brought to our attention and taken
appropriate action.  We would also like to explain eBay's policy with
respect to reports like yours.  eBay is not in a position to make
judgments about the authenticity or authorized nature of auction items,
except in the most extreme circumstances.  This may mean that we cannot
remove the item about which you contacted us.  In some cases, we refer
the information to the owner of the rights (copyright, trademark, etc.)
involved, if we know who they are and how to contact them.  Although you
may be extremely knowledgeable about these types of items, we often
cannot remove items upon the representations of third parties whose
credentials we cannot verify, unless of course the alleged infringement
is obvious on its face.  That is why we strongly urge you to notify the
rights holder of the suspected infringement and encourage them to join
our Verified Rights Owners (VeRO) Program (formerly called Legal Buddy
Program).  This program enables them to request the ending of allegedly
infringing auctions.

We appreciate your vigilance in helping us to keep inappropriate
auctions off eBay.   If we can be of any further assistance, please let
us know.

As always, if you have a question or problem, please contact us and we
will gladly assist you. If you would like to report a questionable item
please visit:
http://pages.ebay.com/services/safeharbor/report-infringing.html

Thanks for using eBay!

In lugnet.general, Kevin Loch writes:
Here's a copy of what I sent to safeharbour@ebay.com

This auction is selling "LEGO instructions on CD".  If they are scans of
LEGO instruction manuals, then they are almost certainly pirate copies,
since LEGO has never sold a collection of building instructions on
CD.  Please cancel this, and any future offers of LEGO
instructions on CD unless they state that it was manufactured
by LEGO, or that the instructions are all for original
models.

Kevin Loch

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=178062459