 General / 8482
  I wonder where he got the scans from?

"Building Instructions on CD" (URL) wonder where he got the scans from? (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

Here's a copy of what I sent to safeharbour@ebay.com This auction is selling "LEGO instructions on CD". If they are scans of LEGO instruction manuals, then they are almost certainly pirate copies, since LEGO has never sold a collection of building (...) (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

You should have copied the e-mail to TLG. I suppose doing what he is doing can only harm the existing setup. Scott A (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

Here is the response from Ebay: We have reviewed the auction you have brought to our attention and taken appropriate action. We would also like to explain eBay's policy with respect to reports like yours. eBay is not in a position to make judgments (...) (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

(...) Only if they notice. Drawing their attention to it would definately not help. (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

There is alot of pirated stuff on eBay. Music CDs, VCDs, DVDs, Videos and more....Someone was selling alot of pirated software and they even mentioned it in big letters but no one cared so the auction went on and sold for 1000 something dollars... (...) (25 years ago, 12-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

(...) [snip rest of canned response] What the hell is up with eBay? This doesn't sound like them. There was an auction that I bid on that was a pirated copy of a movie, but it didn't "sound" like it was pirated in item's description; though it (...) (25 years ago, 12-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

Sorry for the late reply, but... I don't think it is illegal to buy or sell CDs with Lego instructions scans - I've bought six such CDs from various sources. Unlike video tapes which all have the FBI warning and software which always has the user (...) (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

(...) I don't mean to be harsh, but this attitude is very likely to make TLG reconsider their very liberal fair-use policy. I've got issues with the trademark/domain clause, which I'm sure you've all heard. But I think the copyright part is (...) (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

Matthew Miller wrote in message ... (...) of (...) I don't intend to sound harsh, either, but... Well, I have not heard your issues with the trademark/domain clause - or if I have, I forgot. Still, I don't think TLG is going to close the brickshelf (...) (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

Your analysis is completely wrong. Selling scan CD's is clearly illegal and asking for trouble. public distribution of ANY instruction or catalog scan (regardless of age) is an infringement of copyright. The fact that TLG has passively allowed my (...) (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

(...) I think it is inappropriate and very likely to have an adverse effect on TLG's tolerance of brickshelf.com (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

(...) Well, I do mean to sound harsh. You're wrong. Period. So wrong, in fact, that I must believe you're simply ignorant of the realities of copyright issues. It's either that or you believe that just because someone's doing something wrong and (...) (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

OK, when I originally posted, I had two points. One point was in response to the person who seemed angry with eBay for not ending the auction - and I went about saying why I don't think its in eBay's place to end that auction. Secondly, I said I (...) (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

(...) Agreed. (...) Hear Hear! This is one area where we LIKE what TLG has done, please please PLEASE let's not upset the apple cart. Those euro sellers need to be gone after or they're going to wreck it for all of us. (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

Is this the CD that had instructions for "fan created" (or something like that) models too? If it is that raises a big question for me...what would I have to do to prevent some jerk from making money off of my published DAT files. I'm NOT against (...) (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

(...) Well, you already own the copyright to anything you've created. So you would be completely within your rights to ask them to stop, or even sue. If you're really worried, it wouldn't hurt to write up a little fair-play-like bit of text and (...) (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

(...) On the contrary, I have been able to shut down an illegal auction by reporting it to eBay. They DO take action, especially if you threaten to report them to the legal department of the company that is getting screwed (which I did... both (...) (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

(...) While I certainly agree with the above, it can't be assumed that the Euro sellers got the scans from Kevin's site. They may well have created the scans themselves. As anyone who knows a thing or two about the pirated software underground, (...) (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

I agree with you but I would hasten to point out that we nevertheless should help protect the brand if we can. TLG may well throw the baby out with the bathwater and come after Kev in a misguided attempt to shut others down. We know well that there (...) (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

(...) TLG, by going to a central place, could if it wished, improve the quality of scans that are poor by, for example, supplying better ones, or supplying actual instructions for a volunteer to scan. Not that they would ever do that, of course, but (...) (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

(...) true. (...) What do you mean my "monitor quality?" I think "observe activity" would be a better choice of words. It also allows them the opportunity to use the resource themselves. It would take them an enormous effort and expense to create an (...) (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

(...) Thus leading to the very popular website "STLGI@Home" -- harnessing the power of countless AFOL PC's to search for intelligence within TLG. Steve Bliss Yeah, it was a cheap shot. It's Friday afternoon. I'm a little giddy. (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

(...) Exactly. This is what I meant. (...) Kevin's site is superb. I've downloaded almost all of the town/train/boats and every catalog and I have yet to find one that I wouldn't keep because of its quality. (...) Let me reiterate here how useful (...) (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

(...) Agreed. You are doing a great service to all of us by finding and securing those scans, I'm sure I speak for many of us when I offer my profuse thanks! And further, the vast majority of sellers (excepting those who are flogging 1775 for 49.95) (...) (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

(...) You see a lot that has some stuff you want, but maybe you don't want all of it, so you contact the winning bidder (either before or after) to see if he wants to split up the lot with you. If he responds, you're all set. If he doesn't, outbid (...) (25 years ago, 30-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

(...) What's a split with a buyer? Wow, that's a nice gesture. Out of four or five times I contacted ebay bidders with some info about S@H, etc., I only got one reply. All the others ignored me. /Eric McC/ (25 years ago, 30-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

It works...I'm still waiting for Larry to come out to CA and look through stuff :-) Paul Sinasohn, wondering where his 26 pounds from Attic Favorites is..... (25 years ago, 1-Nov-99, to lugnet.general)

  (canceled)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

(...) I don't know about the intricacies of Australian Copyright law (nor even the US), but I don't think that there would be any problem creating a backup for yourself (note that in the US, court decisions might imply that you could at most create (...) (25 years ago, 2-Nov-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I wonder where he got the scans from?

(...) In the latest US S@H catalog (Holidays) there are two new "instruction" books with instructions for models not related to any particular set. One is animals, one is people. Paul Sinasohn (25 years ago, 2-Nov-99, to lugnet.general)