 General / 39065
Re: What's the weirdest LEGO item you own?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:05:49 GMT

hi!

Wierd or strange is always a question of the point of view, so after reading
this thread I guess I can ad something to the "rare" section and maybe ad
the new aspect of wierd feelings.

The object I have that I Have wondered most about is a little elefant from
the shortlived Legoland at Sierksdorf, north of Lübeck on the german coast
of the Baltic Sea. It is the only LEGO object my family has that was bought
glued together. (no wait we have some minifig key chains) But besides from
that the body is a single 2x4 duplo brick. I don't think I've ever seen
anything else sold officially by TLC that mixes the two brick brands. Seeing
how the animals were built at the Safari Ride in Legoland, where they did
mix the bricks, I always considered this Elefant more of a Legoland style
miniture sculpture than a normal set type thing (besides of course it being
glued together making it a sculpture. Hm scanning the thread again I wonder
whether this is an item from Dagny Holms team, does somebody know? Did she
start the combining LEGO and DUPLO thing?).

Rather old and rare are two petrol pumps or what they're called from the HO
scale car time (it's a pity none of our cars survived). These little objects
were quite realistic models that were stuck between four surrounding studs.
The scale of their detail is so different from the normal basic bricks we
have, they always stuck out and yet they fit perfectly well to any 2x4 basic
brick wich makes them apply better to the old system rule, any LEGO has to
be able to be attached to a 2x4 brick, than some modern pieces.

Interesting is a rotor/propeller with solar cells on the blades. It is not
from LEGO but from ProSolar and has a foot adapter that can be made to fit
on a LEGO or DUPLO (and adapters for other construction toys). It was sold
by Shell, alone and together with a LEGO helicopter.

Sometimes I work for a company in Hamburg that fits light-domes and heat and
smoke extraction systems to buildings and one of their customers was the
LEGO factory in Hohenwestedt north of Hamburg. German afols will know the
name at once as this is were the german branch of LEGO had it's HQ for
decades before they decided to move the offices to München. The machine and
tool making machine factory is still there though and as we still write them
bills for mentaining our stuff it is always a strange feeling writing the
manufacturer of my favorite toy that makes up a lot of my childhood memory a
bill.

Once when my nephews visited me in Braunschweig we went to a special
exhibition on toys and in one of the displays they had some typicall toys of
the seventies. Now this was really wierd seeing LEGO sets that we owned
lying there between all that other "antic" stuff. To the kids this was all
the same type of age. This makes you really feel old, a part of your
childhood (er verrrrrrrry early childhood;-) old enough to be on display in
a museum dealing with history. It was really interesting though to see how
well LEGO blended in with the other toys of the time. It was shiney plastic
and just think of the home maker maxifig stuff and above all the first try
of scala with the decorated tiles, that was truly the seventies.

tschuess/bye
thomas