 General / 39046
Re: What's the weirdest LEGO item you own?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:54:19 GMT

In lugnet.general, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  What do all of you have?

Aside from an a box of as-yet unidentified elements from pre-1980 that were
found at yard sales, I have the following anecdote to share.  I think I
might have written this story a while back (like so long ago it was probably
on rtl before there was a Lugnet), but I will try to remember the story...

Back around 1993-5 I was a student at Emerson College in Boston.  I had a
part time job working at the Student Union answering phones and welcoming
guests.  There was a non-Lego friend who also worked there.  We each had our
name on one slot in a desktop file that was our mailbox.  One morning I
arrived to find a big thick-paper thing rolled up and sticking way out of my
slot.  It had a post-it note that read, "A gift to Hendo from the Red Line."

Before I really looked at it, my friend walked in laughing and was very
animated in describing his experience on his train ride to school that day.
He explained that he was sitting on the crowded train and looked up to see
an advertisement for UNICEF that used Lego mini-figures.  Knowing how much I
liked Lego, he became obsessed with how he might get me a copy of the
poster.  His mind festered while on the subway until the doors opened at his
stop.  In a split-second decision, he jumped up, stood on a vacant seat,
wrestled with the poster to wrench it from its mounting (his antics during
his story at this point were quite humorous), and surely frightened the crap
out of the other commuters in the train before he bolted from the car to the
platform with the ill-gotten poster in hand.

So now it sits proudly on my wall.

How is that for an odd Lego-related item?

-H.