 General / 39004
Re: What's the weirdest LEGO item you own?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 12:47:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  What do all of you have?  (John, your 1593 is unusual, but
  it doesn't count.  ;) )

Good topic!

Well I don't know what all I have, exactly, but here are a few oddities I
can remember off the top of my head. None are QUITE as odd as yours though.

From Germany: 3 copies of a fairly ordinary set (4221 basic bricks) which
have a special cardboard sleeve, promoting MySAP. These were given away as
spiffs at a SAPPHIRE (SAP trade show) held in Berlin in 2000. I decided to
sell two of them... no takers yet.

From Germany: Large cardboard Deutsche Telecom promotional stand backing.
I'm not sure of the provenance of this, I think Horst and I bought out a
store's entire stock of Telecom bicycle race sets and they gave us this too,
but I forget. I managed to get it home without too much folding though.

From Italy: 2 copies of instructional card packs for a pre Dacta Technic
set, in Italian. Ezio and I were cleaning out a stores selection of service
packs and Technic and Dacta parts and they threw these in. I have no idea
what any of them say, I never opened the boxes.

From Switzerland: 1960s-1970s(?) vintage "service parts tray". This is a red
plastic tray, about 10x15x3 inches in size, with the LEGO logo on it, as
well as the word "Service". It's divided into many small compartments. It
originally held loose parts and was intended for stores to sell replacement
parts from. It actually has square bottom corners so it is hard to get parts
out of when you are down to just two or 3! I saw one of these at Franz Carl
Weber in Zurich, bought up most of the service parts that it had in it, but
they wouldn't sell it to me. Then I happened to be at another, smaller
family run toy store in a Zurich suburb and bought up all of their parts and
packs and the owner threw in the tray.

From Australia: Poster promoting Adventurers model show at the Myers in
Pacific Fair mall (in a resort town whose name escapes me) on the Gold
Coast. Harro took me to that mall to see the show and we obtained two
posters (and a picture of a meter tall jar of Vegemite made of LEGO)

From the US: Plastic placard  about 12x30 inches with illustrations of all
the Shell small promo sets. From a Shell station somewhere in northern VA
when Denise and I cleaned out all their promos for prizes for BF 2001.
Regrettably, although I HAD the "LEGO inside" yard sign and the LEGO flag
too, both of those were given to WAMALUG or to MichLUG so I don't have them
any more.

No wait, that's not right, that placard is from Scott Sanburn, he gave it to
me after HE cleaned out some Shell stations in Indiana.

Hm... I am sensing a theme here, many items are "when person X and I were
cleaning out store Y, we got item Z"... Too bad you and I didn't get any
spiffs when we cleaned out that store of their Sail 'n' Fly's  at Blue Water
(that mall we went to in the UK with Huw), eh Lindsay?