 General / 39048
Re: What's the weirdest LEGO item you own?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:11:48 GMT

It's again nothing weird, but slightly rare. Back in 1982 there was a
nationwide building contest to celebrate 25 years of Lego in the
Netherlands. I won first prize in the local first round, getting me into the
second round (where I totally s***** up: you only had two hours, and I'm a
slow over-ambitious builder) and a yellow jacket with a big '25 years of
Lego' logo on the back. I've used it a few times, but it's still pretty much
as new. I should really do a picture of me in the jacket. And dig up the
photo's of my prize winning entry.

From my dad's collection I own about a dozen clear 8x11x3 boxes with
matching 8x11 gray lid. At Legoworld this weekend I saw them in one of the
display cabinets in their original packaging. I remember a while back
someone wrote about these sets - was that Larry?
With those boxes came lots of red 2x2 plates, white 2x1 plates and clear 2x1
plates. Especially those clear ones are rare (to have 100+ anyway) although
by now they're useless. They're worn so badly they won't hold on
anything....

Anyway, that's my entry for the rarity show...

Duq

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message

   Hi, everyone.

   I was going through a few things here at my home in Michigan,
   and I ran across something odd that I'd forgotten about.  It
   got me thinking:  What kind of true oddities that have some
   connection to LEGO--themed items, promotional things, or other
   tie-ins that are bizarre--do people here have?  There are
   easily enough hard-core, longtime collectors from around the
   world here to have some strange items from the early days of
   LEGO as well as some of the newer promotional items.

   To kick this off, I'll share my only slightly odd item: a
   lightsaber handle from the Wal-Mart 1999 (IIRC) "lightsaber
   building" competition.  It's a black plastic "handle" with
   a + shaped set of plates screwed into the top upon which to
   anchor a "blade."  Apparently these were not supposed to be
   released by the stores, being promotional items, but I
   bought a clearance bucket and one was hiding in there.

   What do all of you have?  (John, your 1593 is unusual, but
   it doesn't count.  ;) )

   Eagerly awaiting tales of mystery and intrigue,

   LFB