 General / 36176
Re: Digital camera
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 04:42:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tamyra Teed writes:
Note: Nikon makes a great camera! it's called the Cool Pix 995 and it just
had a major price drop to 599.99 (it's on it's way to the discontinued bin)
THOUGH... you can get it cheaper, much cheaper, look at buydig.com (I found
them on pricewatch.com) I just got one from there for 444.00 with 24.95 fedex
shipping.  And I can tell you, I'm VERY pleased with this camera.  If you're
in the market and have the money, I wouldn't wait, or you'll be sitting like
me... finally saved up enough money, and the camera your heart was set on is
discontinued and you can't find it anywhere.  That's how I ended up with the
Nikon instead.  (Which I don't think is a bad thing now!)

The Nikon is a GREAT camera...the newspaper I work at uses these for
impromptu photo shoots at dealers and stores.

I used the following criteria for a camera:

Macro
Flash (that's a given on digitals these days)
Zoom
Movie mode (just in case)
reasonable resolution (which I figured would be a 2.1 megapixel camera:
makes a REALLY big 72 dpi picture or a 5x7 at 300 dpi printing)
in the 300 dollar range.

I originally had my heart set on a Canon 510D, which did everything and then
some, but found an Olympus 211 (they too are discontinued, but it was a
really low price!)

The Olympus can do all the above and one really cool thing that is
handy...it has a Polaroid film processor on it. So I can take pix and print
them immediately if need be. And the pics are great!

in terms of memory, go to http://www.newegg.com. They sell memory media
really cheap. Got 2 64meg Smartmedia cards for $40 plus shipping.

Browse around the camera sites to figure out what you want. I have been very
surprised and happy with my camera.

Joe Meno

Tamy

Erik Olson wrote:

Browse http://news.lugnet.com/publish/photography/

See www.dcresource.com (other big sites have been pointed out)

General answer: get a budget model 2MB camera with macro mode, for about
$300. Look first at Canon, Nikon, and Olympus, who make the best high-end
cameras. Example: New 2MB Olympus 520Z has macro mode, street price $300
(Just announced yesterday.) Get a camera that feels right in your hand.
Note: Nikon doesn't make a cheap model.

FUT publish.photography