 Publishing / Photography / 97
Re: Digital camera
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 00:45:04 GMT

In lugnet.general, Erik Olson writes:

Hmm, activebuyersguide points out these low-end cameras, all with macro:

Macro is essential for Lego close-ups! Do not leave the store without it!

Olympus Brio D-150Z, 1280x960, serial (no USB!), $259
Olympus D-600L, 1280x1024, serial/parallel, $297
Olympus D-510Z, 1600x1200, USB, $299
Toshiba PDR-M25 1792x1200, USB, $240
Fuji FinePix 1400, 1280x960, USB, $249

Media type issue - (you must buy immediately, all cameras ship with a
pitiful amount of memory). Olympus uses the less flexible Smartmedia, but at
typical 64 and 128MB sizes it's not a big problem so long as you have USB to
download pictures. CompactFlash is superior (no size limits, more reader
devices). There are others. Serial cable download is horrible for current
picture sizes.

I'm not sure if all those have LCD display? The 510Z does.

Hidden costs: you should buy a battery charger and the right batteries.
Don't forget the extra memory card ($50).

Disclaimer: I've used the Olympus 3030Z for a year, which is a high-end
camera. Only regret is that for that much money I should have bought the one
with 32M extra ram buffer. 2MB is all I ever need, so the 3030 is overkill.
But I really like the shape and handling and menus of that series (not the
same as the 500 models.)