 General / 36195
Re: Digital camera
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:57:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Henry Kruer writes:
Excuse my ignorance.. but what is a web cam?  And what makes them so cheap?
Do they just have worse quality?

Webcams are the tethered cameras (serial port, USB, whatever) made famous by
Connectix (and others) as little balls that sit on top of your monitor and
transmit your face.

Earthlink gave them away with a subscription for a long while.

Generally you get 320x240 resolution, in color nowadays, but the picture is
... fuzzy ... Better ones feature 640x480 resolution, still fuzzy. Much like
a paused frame on your VCR. They may include a manual focus (twist the lens
to unscrew) or have single fixed focus. You can't go much closer than 12
inches with these things.

I did all my webpages with one of these in 1998. Yuck.  Luckily I was able
to borrow a real camera to preserve pictures of my Lego. I didn't get a real
camera until about a year and a half ago.