 General / 36169
  Digital camera

Hello. After some recent work, I've geared up and I'm just about ready to launch my site! There seems to be only one problem... I need a digital camera to take pictures of my MOCs! Could *anyone* give me advice on buying a digital camera, and the (...) (22 years ago, 20-Mar-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Digital camera

(...) Yeah... I've just made a (in my eyes) beutiful spacecraft. But guess what- no camera. Oh well... John Kruer (22 years ago, 20-Mar-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Digital camera

Browse (URL) www.dcresource.com (other big sites have been pointed out) General answer: get a budget model 2MB camera with macro mode, for about $300. Look first at Canon, Nikon, and Olympus, who make the best high-end cameras. Example: New 2MB (...) (22 years ago, 20-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: Digital camera

In lugnet.general, Erik Olson writes: Hmm, activebuyersguide points out these low-end cameras, all with macro: Macro is essential for Lego close-ups! Do not leave the store without it! Olympus Brio D-150Z, 1280x960, serial (no USB!), $259 Olympus (...) (22 years ago, 20-Mar-02, to lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: Digital camera

Note: Nikon makes a great camera! it's called the Cool Pix 995 and it just had a major price drop to 599.99 (it's on it's way to the discontinued bin) THOUGH... you can get it cheaper, much cheaper, look at buydig.com (I found them on (...) (22 years ago, 20-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.photography)

  RE: Digital camera

(...) I paid $840 for the Coolpix 990--excellent camera--but that was over a year ago. My roommate got a 995 for under $400 recently because of all the rebates. --Bram Bram Lambrecht bram@cwru.edu www.bldesign.org (22 years ago, 20-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: Digital camera

(...) The Nikon is a GREAT camera...the newspaper I work at uses these for impromptu photo shoots at dealers and stores. I used the following criteria for a camera: Macro Flash (that's a given on digitals these days) Zoom Movie mode (just in case) (...) (22 years ago, 20-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: Digital camera

(...) Ugg... Is there any camera a kid with an allowance of 3.50 could afford in a YEAR? John kruer (22 years ago, 20-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: Digital camera

There are a fair few low end cameras around. (In the UK) you can pick one up for a bot £40 - £50, so it may be birthday present fodder. You could always buy a cheap webcam or if you've got a scanner just use conventional photos and scan em in, like (...) (22 years ago, 20-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: Digital camera

(...) I just purchased an Olympus D-150 Zoom at Costco for only US$150. Add a 128mb smart memory card for US$57 and you're ready to go. It has a macro mode for shooting Lego and a 3x optical and 2x digital zoom for taking other pictures. The only (...) (22 years ago, 20-Mar-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Digital camera

If you are a photo geek, get youself a cheepo camera and save up your money for the new "X3" imaging sensor technology you'll be seening in cameras soon. Buying a cheap one now will get you rolling on buying memory cards (compact flash, memory (...) (22 years ago, 20-Mar-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Digital camera

(...) I remember what it's like being a kid with limited income :( Like someone said, you could always look at getting a cheap webcam and using that. (Just remember you get what you pay for) Though instead of doing that, I'd probably try to find a (...) (22 years ago, 20-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: Digital camera

(...) Yeah. I'm short on funds too. That's why I'm selling some of my extra Lego in the buy-sell-trade column. I think It's gonna be a while until I get myself a decent camera. :) Just my two brickz... <<_Matt Hein_>> Lugnet member NO. 1112 (22 years ago, 20-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: Digital camera

(...) Now THAT'S interesting. At twelvish, huh? Maybe I should have asked the other moms how much they give their kids instead of relying on my eight-year-old to tell me what kids these days are getting for an allowance.... Seriously, if you can (...) (22 years ago, 20-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: Digital camera

(...) Sadly, thats about as likely as a pig growing wings. My parents think that 3.50 is alot, and I shouldn't get half of it! They just tell me to wait. (...) :-) Well, I tell my parents about the kids who get 50 dollars a week, (and show me proof) (...) (22 years ago, 20-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: Digital camera

(...) Excuse my ignorance.. but what is a web cam? And what makes them so cheap? Do they just have worse quality? John Kruer (22 years ago, 20-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: Digital camera

(...) Webcams are the tethered cameras (serial port, USB, whatever) made famous by Connectix (and others) as little balls that sit on top of your monitor and transmit your face. Earthlink gave them away with a subscription for a long while. (...) (22 years ago, 20-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: Digital camera

(...) In 2002, webcams are a whole different breed. My favorite is the Intel PC Pocket camera which is running at (URL) can be brought very close using the manual focus. Bonus: It can be unplugged and used away from the PC. (Manual focus is disabled (...) (22 years ago, 20-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: Digital camera

"John Henry Kruer" <jhkruer@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Gt9xoB.48D@lugnet.com... <snip> (...) in (...) I know this will sound weird, but the Target in Norman, OK had cheap a digital camera with cables and a 8MB flash card for 35 dollars. I do (...) (22 years ago, 21-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: Digital camera

(...) He was getting a dollar until he came home and told me that in a comparison of classmates' allowances, the lowest anyone else got was $3 and there were kids getting $6 or $7. So I bumped it up to $3. I DO think it is excessive because once you (...) (22 years ago, 21-Mar-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Digital camera

John Henry Kruer wrote in message ... (...) Your best bet on a small allowance is a cheap webcam (the cheapest I see here is CN$30, so US$20) for closeups and a normal 35mm camera with the pics developed onto a CD for overall pictures. I'm still (...) (22 years ago, 21-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: Digital camera

Funnily enough I'd been toying with the idea of getting a camera, but when I read your post I thought "why didn't I ever get one?". So today I nipped out and picked up a Fuji FinePix A201. What a great little camera! I've been messing with it all (...) (22 years ago, 21-Mar-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Digital camera

(...) WOW!!!! $3 a week, plus "unlimited" lego.... :) I wish I got that when I was a kid. I got money from relatives, and managed the odd job here and there, plus LEGO wasn't that bad back then. You could buy a real nice lego set for even $10. So I (...) (22 years ago, 21-Mar-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Digital camera

Hey I went for a Canon G2 after a bit of research, got it about 10 weeks ago. Factors other than lego photography were involved in my choice else i'd probably have picked up one of the Nikon 775s ... as suggested. Thought I'd throw these up to show (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.photography)