 General / 3368
Re: Who had the 5571 Inventory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:45:55 GMT

Wow, did I open a can of worms!

OK, Tom's response to what I said was GREAT. Tom said:

  Yes, I have done this before.  Someone sent me the inventory for 9365, so I pulled
2 sets out
  of the auction as Reserved for him at opening cost, even if the rest of that set
get bid much
  higher.

This is GREAT! Tom is a great guy.

I guess part of my post was jealousy; I would love to have an "Inter-City Train" 7740
but I could never afford one at current market prices (OK well I guess I could come
up with the money, but it is just too much for me...nearly a months rent for a
train?), and I never had the chance to buy one when they were in production (Even
though I got a 7730 while I worked for LEGO--i.e. I got the set not through the
regular channels--7740 was just a unattainable picture on the brochure.)

In the spirit of sharing information a post could appear that says...

Such and such store is blowing out their supply of set xxxx. I got mine. Go there and
get yours! By the way, I'll be breaking up some of them for parts so I could use an
inventory...I looked but I couldn't find one.

This kind of sharing is similar to the WONDERFUL people that post the weekly phone
specials.
Also, those people that do the CAD programs please please please keep sharing (I am
certain you so not like me much right now, but could you share in a Macintosh
flavor?)

Truth is that I should be encouraging auctions; the more auctions and parts auctions
there are the more likely the prices will drop to my price range. Additionally, parts
auctions give everyone access to parts packs that LEGO is not willing to produce.

This is not an accusation leveled towards Tom...the other part of my post is that I
just worry a bit about profiteers. Profiteering is definately not in the spirit of
sharing or this NG.

John Neal wrote:

I am all for the *free* exchange of ideas in this NG-- that's why we're all here,
isn't it?  I guess I was just voicing my subtle dismay that it seems to me that
some people around here and especially in RTL and Ebay are just into Lego so that
they can make a quick buck (I found 10 sets at Walmart at 40% off so now I'm going
to sell them in Lugnet and cash in)-- and I by _no_ means mean to imply this of
Mike.  Having said that, I have nothing against the free market and the fair
market value of sets or elements and people for selling them.  I guess when I
really analyze how I feel about the whole situation, it boils down to frustration
with TLG for not making parts available in bulk, which would, in my mind, drive
prices down and make Lego a more affordable hobby AND provide builders with the
elements they need to build freely (well, not quite;). I'm thinking of an analogy
to the legalization of drugs, but I don't want to go there because I don't really
have all the facts and wish not to be BBQ'd:-)

-John

onyx wrote:

In lugnet.general, Mike Stanley writes:
John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote:
Wow, are you suggesting that someone should give you something gratis so that • you
can turn around and use it to make money?

*puzzlement*

Nope, not at all.

But if someone has already DONE the inventory, why not share it?

But given the fact that so many other
things in our "community" are based on sharing...

i think everyone involved in this thread who *isn't* involved in the Lego CAD
realm should hop on over into those channels and take a look at what's going
on... we CAD kids are writing applications, creating 3D models of elements,
designing and implementing new file formats, evaluating software for future
Lego CAD advancements... all for *free*... all of our time, effort and creation
comes and goes 100% gratis.. i wouldn't *accept* being paid for my time and
effort.. i wouldn't even accept a fistful of bricks (well, okay, my greed
*would* allow me to accept an 8448.. but still :) )...
i don't care *what* the guy on the other end of the CAD spectrum is doing with
my apps and 3D meshes... as long as it *helps* someone... and i get the
personal satisfaction of knowing i was the badass that coded the app or modeled
the element... you can't BUY that kind of character-building experience

as the "leader" of our CAD community once said: "i don't WANT to get paid for
this... then it becomes a little too much like 'work'... "

not to mention the fact that Lego CAD (specifically LDraw) was born, bred and
fostered in the mind of a young man who died in his mid-20's... after leaving
us all a legacy that created the CAD community i'm proud to be a core part of
today... and his family still upholds his wish that every thread spawned from
his original creation remain public domain for eternity...

if the person creating the information didn't want it to be shared then they
wouldn't have made a public access announcement on the largest worldwide forum
known to man...

c'mon... play well

I do play well, I just want to encourage everyone to play as well as Tom does. See
Tom's response.

Yes, let us all play well. Let us encourage good fair auctions with all the parts we
all want.

Christopher

PS. When I saw the list of Instructions that Kevin Loch was looking for I tore my
appartment apart for hours looking for the instructions to the old police station.
Unfortunately, the set was my brotheres and the instructions were lost long ago. I
was VERY excited; I thought I had found my chnace to give back to the LEGO community.

PPS. My comments about a 7740...I did briefly consider asking if anyone wanted to
trade a 7740 plus say a mail car for my Airport Shuttle 6399 with  6921 Futron
Monorail Accessory Track and 6347 Accesory Track. I decided not to ask, but I still
think about it occaisionally.

PPPS. Do you remember the days on RTL when queries like, "Hey, do you know where I
could buy any old LEGO sets?" or "Are any of you selling your LEGO?" Would illist
post after post of response of, "Who me...sell my LEGO..now that is funny." I
remember those posts.