 General / 3372
Re: Who had the 5571 Inventory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:55:56 GMT

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 22:51:07 GMT, "onyx" <onyx@flash.net> wrote:

In lugnet.general, Mike Stanley writes:
John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote:
Wow, are you suggesting that someone should give you something gratis so that • you
can turn around and use it to make money?

*puzzlement*

Nope, not at all.

But if someone has already DONE the inventory, why not share it?

But given the fact that so many other
things in our "community" are based on sharing...

i think everyone involved in this thread who *isn't* involved in the Lego CAD
realm should hop on over into those channels and take a look at what's going
on... we CAD kids are writing applications, creating 3D models of elements,
designing and implementing new file formats, evaluating software for future
Lego CAD advancements... all for *free*... all of our time, effort and creation
comes and goes 100% gratis.. i wouldn't *accept* being paid for my time and
effort.. i wouldn't even accept a fistful of bricks (well, okay, my greed
*would* allow me to accept an 8448.. but still :) )...
i don't care *what* the guy on the other end of the CAD spectrum is doing with
my apps and 3D meshes... as long as it *helps* someone... and i get the
personal satisfaction of knowing i was the badass that coded the app or modeled
the element... you can't BUY that kind of character-building experience

You go, Jeff.

as the "leader" of our CAD community once said: "i don't WANT to get paid for
this... then it becomes a little too much like 'work'... "

That person must have been wise beyond their years - truly a king among kings.

not to mention the fact that Lego CAD (specifically LDraw) was born, bred and
fostered in the mind of a young man who died in his mid-20's... after leaving
us all a legacy that created the CAD community i'm proud to be a core part of
today... and his family still upholds his wish that every thread spawned from
his original creation remain public domain for eternity...

if the person creating the information didn't want it to be shared then they
wouldn't have made a public access announcement on the largest worldwide forum
known to man...

c'mon... play well

I could almost hear stirring music in the background as I read this.  ; - )
All kidding aside, good sentiment, Jeff.

-- Terry K --