 General / 3463
Re: Who had the 5571 Inventory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 17:58:35 GMT

I agree with John concerning the current state that most Lego
enthusiasts share, is the lack of bulk bricks from TLG, and the
necessity of buying certain sets. I don't buy sets for the future value
of them, I buy them to either have the set, or to use the parts. I don't
think I would EVER sell my sets unless I was in financial trouble. My
airport shuttle stays where it is, in my city, in parts, until I get
around to finishing it.

Always remember as well there are people who would pay $600.00 for a
Airport Shuttle, I wouldn't, but some might. The market determines
things, and unfortunately, it doesn't always come out the way we would
like it to be.

Scott Sanburn

John Neal wrote:

For me the most notable reason why our little market isn't perfect is that IMO we
are in a constant state of short supply on most elements (because of TLG's
unwillingness to offer bulk), not to mention that most sets are not available
through Lego anymore, and the new ones being offered (with notable exceptions, of
course) are juniorized crap.  I keep coming back to the example of the $650 dollar
airport shuttles.....Geez o'pete.

-John

Simon Robinson wrote:

Reasonable?  Whether or not one views the amount of profit to be reasonable is
completely beside the point.  That is because the *market* determines the
value
and thus the amount of profit one can make.  If I find a set at 80% off and
turn

Ah - the theory of the perfect free market. It'd be nice if it always
worked like that - but it doesn't for various reasons, most notably that
people don't always have perfect knowledge of the market. The going rate
for something might be $300 but if someone doesn't know that you might
still get away with selling something for $600.

as both, but it's different.  Sometimes it feels funny (to me anyway) bidding
against people you know, etc., but I think in the end it all boils down to
supply

Yep - I'd go along with that.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com