 General / 3448
Re: Who had the 5571 Inventory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:00:22 GMT

Luckily, SO FAR, Profiteering is VERY rare in our community (I don't count
Ebay as being part of our community).

In my case, I am selling stuff on Ebay and doing auctions to support my
Lego habit.  If I didn't sell stuff, I couldn't buy ANY Lego anymore, my
budget has been tightened too much (I need to pay off CC debts so we can
seriously consider buying a house).  So while my current auctions are all
about Profit, I don't consider them Profiteering, if you can see the
difference.  The Profit goes to pay off current and past Lego costs in my
case.

Sorry to be pedantic, but I'm not sure I'd agree with this.
You seem to be saying that whether it is profiteering or not depends on
what you're using the money for. I'd say it depends more on whether
the profits you're making are reasonable, and on how your'e treating your
'customers'.

If I didn't know anything about the market rates and someone managed to
convince me to buy a metroliner off them for $2000, I'd say that's
profiteering. I wouldn't care if they want the money to donate it to
some worthy charity as well as buying other lego.

Conversely if someone who doesn't care anything about Lego sold me a metroliner
for $200 because they'd bought it somewhere for $150 and wanted to make
a profit, I would NOT consider it profiteering. They'd be offering a fair
trade at a reasonable price - and I'd be happy.

btw I'm not trying to accuse you of anything - as far as I can see
everything you've done is quite reasonable. (And incidently I
don't think you need to apologize for selling stuff on ebay - that's
a perfectly legitimate way of selling something) I'm just quibbling about
definitions here :)

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com