 General / 3377
Re: Who had the 5571 Inventory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:58:49 GMT

I guess part of my post was jealousy; I would love to have an "Inter-City > >
Train" 7740
but I could never afford one at current market prices (OK well I guess I • could come
up with the money, but it is just too much for me...nearly a months rent for a
train?)

<snip>

This kind of sharing is similar to the WONDERFUL people that post the weekly • phone
specials.

That's understandable. It can be incredibly frustrating see other people
getting something that you want and can't have. (In any walk of life, not
just buying Lego). And that was a very honest, open posting - I like that!

I think sometimes one of the problems is that - we all know we live in
a market economy and it's only natural that a lot of people are going to
try to make a profit if they can. After all that's what shops do - they make
a profit by making Lego more easily available to us, and noone on this list
has AFAIK begrudged them that.

But somehow it'd be nice to think that _we're_ different. Being in a group
like lugnet does generate quite a good community feeling and one of the
results I guess is we don't want to feel that anyone makes a big profit out
of anyone else. That somehow seems to go against the grain of the idea
that we're all fellow Lego builders sharing a hobby and generally helping
each other out. But in the end because we're all normal people, it's
never going to happen like that. With a market for goods there will always
be people who make money. And if other people share information there
will always be some people who manage to take advantage of that. There'll
be a lot of people who gain sometimes and help others other times. I'd
imagine we're all here because we feel we gain something out of lugnet -
be it useful information, the feeling of participating in a community, the
good feeling (and the kudos) that comes from helping others, the chance to
buy sets we want, etc.

I mean - like - I've got quite a bit of information on my web site about
certain aspects of software development which I'm sure other developers will
be using to help write code - and make a profit or earn a living. I don't
really get anything out of it financially - hopefully I get some recognition
for having posted the stuff but then I guess if I begrudged other people the
information I wouldn't have posted it.

In the end there's going to have to be some give and take in the community
for sharing information etc. I think most people here behave reasonably
most of the time - if it became obvious that any individual was taking
advantage of other people too much and not contributing anything, I suspect
that person would quickly find others getting more reluctant to help him/her
out.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com