 General / 2670
Re: Virtual Flower Delivery Service
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 00:23:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, LongJR97@hotmail.com (Jesse Long) writes:
Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
I think you're arguing whether or not it "should" have looked like
spam...?  That's a moot argument, since we know that it did in fact
look like spam to at least one person.  Again, we're all only human,
and we tend to read things very quickly when there is a lot to wade
through.  Even then, not everyone here has been around for 3+ years.

Just becuase one person thinks it looks like spam does not mean we should
condemn it as such.

Why am I being misunderstood so much today?  I must not be taking enough time
to write clearly.  :-(

I was not condemning it as spam.  I was explaining to Mike why it appeared like
spam to one person (and probably to a few others who haven't spoken up) and why
it shouldn't be surprising that someone thought it was spam.

Indeed, it certainly looks like spam to me at first glance if I'm ripping
through the messages quickly.  I *totally* understand *anyone* thinking it was
spam for a few seconds.

Looking closer, the word "baseplate" appears 3 times in the message, but
"baseplate" is not a word that every single LEGO fan on the planet understands
and immediately associates with LEGO.  Some people call them "flats" or "bases"
or "grass" or "ground."

The word "lego" does appear once in the message, but it's within a larger word
"legopolis," and on my display at least, the curly tail of the 'g' is
overlapped by the underlined link, so it looks like 'leoopolis'.  Hardly
something I would notice as meaning "LEGO" out the corner of my eye if I was
browsing through the messages quickly.

One person is not enough to define what is and what isn't in life.

Of course not, but that's irrelevant.  The point is that no one should be
harping on Kevin.  It was an easy mistake to make, and I'm sure he was only
trying to point out what he believed to be a mistake that someone else made.

True, ideally he should have followed the link to see what it was -- instead of
posting the message he posted -- but he didn't.  What's done is done.  The best
we can do at this point is to make sure that Kevin understands what he did
wrong (to help him avoid making a similar mistake again in the future) and then
forgive him and move on.

Anyone who can't forgive Kevin for his mistake is invited either to leave or to
prove that Kevin's message was intentionally hurtful rather than an honest
(albeit careless) mistake.

--Todd