 General / 2664
Re: Virtual Flower Delivery Service
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 20:41:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley) writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
[...]

Obviously it might've looked like spam to some people.

Nope, Tom's opinion about usenet spam aside, I don't really think it
could have,

I think you're arguing whether or not it "should" have looked like spam...?
That's a moot argument, since we know that it did in fact look like spam to at
least one person.  Again, we're all only human, and we tend to read things very
quickly when there is a lot to wade through.  Even then, not everyone here has
been around for 3+ years.

especially if one actually looks at the site.

True, if someone actually clicks on the URL and goes to the site, they'll
definitely understand that it's not spam.  Yet, it's reasonable to cut someone
some slack who didn't recognize the poster's name and who didn't see the
characters "lego" embedded in the URL.  Certainly, based on the content of the
message posting, it was one of the most spam-looking things seen here in a long
time.

The virtual flowers service have won me MAJOR brownie points - I like
'em.  Recommended them to friends even.  :)

Cool!

Now that sort of comment is more helpful to someone following along than any
flamage could be.

I wish I could take back my other posting (to Kevin) and come at it again from
a different angle.  My knee-jerk reaction was to mildly poke Kevin for what he
wrote, but a more productive and friendly approach would have been to (a)
acknowledge that it did in fact appear somewhat spam-looking and (b) invite
Kevin to take a closer look and try it out.

--Todd