 General / 23275
Re: New sets for 2001... finally (Pictures)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 20:55:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Radtke writes:
Am I going crazy or do I remember seeing white TIE fighters for the last 23
years?

In lugnet.general, Steve Bliss writes:
You're crazy.  ;) The TIEs have always been black/grey.  The rebels, IMO, are
more white than LEGO has tended to depict them.

In lugnet.general, Eric Joslin writes:
The Kenner TIE fighter toy was very, very white.  Because of this, a lot of
people remember the TIE fighter as being white in the movie (kids like me had a
lot more exposure to the toys than the movies for years, after all).

For years before the toys were common, there were Star Wars cards. If you were
a kid in 1977 you spent a lot more time looking at these than the actual movie.

My prize Red #131, obtained in a gum pack in 1977, shows Darth Vader's fighter
the SAME GRAY-WHITE COLOR as an X-Wing that is attacking it. The outer side of
the "solar panels" are of course black.

That's my point, the rest is nostalgia:

Granted, I spent a lot of time studying the wonderful images on the back of the
Kenner bubble card, and in the Best catalog, where the ships were snowy
white...

When it came down to it, my Star Wars models were the colors (blue and gray) of
the Galaxy Explorer. Just a matter of availability! I liked the Millenium
Falcon in blue with gray plates. (It wasn't much bigger than my Tie Fighter.)
Or the X-Wing could be made out of red thanks to <set:430>