 General / 21298
Re: LEGO Desk
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:18:07 GMT

The 'warping wasn't actually a deformation of the bricks, per se... but
rather a distortion of the model as a whole. Anyone who has built large
'walls' out of LEGO bricks knows that even at 2 studs thick the walls
are quite flexible... the minute leeway between bricks grows and grows,
so that large sections (like in LEGO mosaics) become unstable.

One might think that glue would help this situation. And it does
strengthen the section. However... if one is not very careful, the
minute distortions in the first rows actually get locked into place by
the glue.

As one builds higher and higher, the distortion continues, and
magnifies, and the glue continues to lock the pieces, so flexing the
wall back into position is no longer an option.

If not taken care of, it can make a large model very un-square.

Remedies:

1) After each row carefully check for squareness before the glue cures
completely (the glue I use hardens in a matter of minutes).
2) work against a plumb hard VERTICAL surface as well as a horizontal
surface.
3) If building a wall section, apply bricks from aletrnate sides for
each row (i.e. stand in 'front' and click the bricks on the frist row,
then for the second, stand behind the wall, and so forth). This allows
the minor pressure of attaching the bricks to equalize distortions from
opposite directions.
4) if the distortion is already glued into position... try getting some
flexibility back by not gluing every brick, or even every row... after a
few more rows, you may have enough 'give and take' to manipulate the
bricks back to a square position.
5) 'Cross-struts' of bricks can also help tall wall sections remain
straight.

anyway... advice from experience.

eric

  You mention on your page that the glue caused some warping.  Did you find it
necessary to apply the glue to the sides of the bricks or just the bottoms
and/or tops?  I've never tried gluing Lego, so I'd be interested to hear how
much warping one might expect.

     Dave!

Eric Harshbarger / eric@ericharshbarger.org / www.ericharshbarger.org

"Oh please, if people are going to start telling the truth around
here... I'm going to bed." - Jackie-O (Parker Posey, THE HOUSE OF YES)