 Dear LEGO / 5555
Re: Building equality one female minifig at a time.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 19:09:04 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Jason J Railton wrote:
But perhaps it shows that this gender equality is most viable in real-life
sets, and the more dramatic or fantastic sets are all aimed squarely at
boyish values.

Bam. When you've got the new "MONSTER EXPLOSION ASSAULT HERO TESTOSTERONE
SQUAD!(tm)" theme, it's simply going to be male dominated. It's going to have
characters, rather than generic poeople-- just like we've seen in Adventurers,
Exo-Force, Knight's Kingdom, Alpha Team, Rock Raiders, Time Cruisers, and Dino
Attack. There's little room for females in those sets, because the target
audience does NOT want to play with girl figures.

Day-in-the-life sets, though, really *ought* to have a better mix. I don't care
if the new TESTOSTERONE SQUAD! has female figs or not. But if it's a new
hospital set, airport, passenger train, etc, it really ought to have a good mix
of genders. And of course, I just wish in general that they had *more*
day-in-the-life sets, like the new modular street sets. I can't help but hope
that there's an untapped market in selling sets like "Legoville Elementary
School" or "Town Post Office" or "City Hall". I doubt we'll be seeing them
anytime soon (if ever!), but I do wish that they were good potential sets.

DaveE