 Dear LEGO / 5533
Re: Building equality one female minifig at a time.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 06:48:55 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.dear-lego, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
Building equality one female minifig at a time. (My apologies in advance for
those of you that have already heard this rant.)
<snip>

This gets me thinking, what is it that defines a 'female' minifig?  Personally,
when I populate a scene I try to get a good gender balance and there are a
variety of things that define 'female'

A definitively 'female' torso
A definitively 'female' face - usually with lipstick laden lips
or
A definitively 'female' hair piece.

This can work okay for 'civilians' but so many of the minifigs produced are
workers types defined by the uniform and the uniform is typically gender neutral
and requires a hat of some sort.  Which leaves you with the option of using a
lipstick laden faces to define a female minifig.

Personally, I don't like the lip stick laden minifigs as I don't know that many
women that wear makeup like that.

Are there suggestions for making female minifigs using the currently available
pieces?  Or alternately, are you suggesting LEGO make some new
pieces/heads/faces and put more of them in their sets.  And if so, what pieces
would you have them make?

This is an interesting topic and I'm curious to hear more from people -
especially the women out there.

This discussion topic reminds me a little of the difference beween Donald and
Daisy Duck.  Donald basically looks like a duck.  But to define Daisdy Duck as
female, she gets a big pink or purple bow on her head and big time eye makeup.

Is that how 'female' should be portrayed?  Big bows in the hair and makeup?

Thank you for bringing up the topic and I too, would like to see more female
minifigs, but I'm not sure how best to do it - even when working with the pieces
I already have.

Cheers,

Ben Fleskes