 Dear LEGO / 5547
Re: Building equality one female minifig at a time.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2007 04:18:27 GMT

Hey,

I highly agree. In my own theme-of-choice, castle, we get about one female fig for every 50 male figs. Of course, part of that is due to the over-emphasis on action and conflict, where most castle figs are knights and soldiers (traditionally male roles), with only the occasional damsel in distress. If we had more civilian sets we could have a greater gender balance - for example, the great Dan Siskind Blacksmith shop, with a man and woman figs. Some themes are better about gender. Harry Potter, for example. If you ignore the glut of Harry figs in every set, you do get a better distribution. Some themes are worse. For instance, even though Leia is certainly one of the main characters from the original SW trilogy, she’s only been in 6 sets (3 of which were $100, one $75, one $50, and one $30). From the prequels, poor Padme only shows up in 2 sets, though at the very least one of those is a cheap set. It’s not like I’m saying they should scrape up minor characters like Shmi Skywalker to artificially add in more women (though they gave us some obscure female Jedi, but unfortunately stuck with a light-up-lightsaber), but certainly there could have been a couple of other Padme sets.

I do like the idea of throwing spare hair and/or heads in sets to give gender options, particularly in Town, where a lack of licensed characters or historically-dictated gender roles (as in castle, pirate, western) leads to a male dominance. A few years ago I was lucky enough to snag a couple of copies of Women’s Soccer Team on sale to, at the time, double my supply of female hair (including my first blond hair). If you look at that pic you’ll see that three of the figs have gender-neutral heads, so you don’t always have to have overly gaudy makeup to imply a woman.

Bruce