 Dear LEGO / 5539
Re: Building equality one female minifig at a time.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 07:13:45 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Ben Fleskes wrote:
This gets me thinking, what is it that defines a 'female' minifig?
Personally, when I populate a scene I try to get a good gender balance and
there are a variety of things that define 'female'

A definitively 'female' hair piece.

But are there any?  I've got long hair, and for my personal minifig I carved
down a Qui-Gon hair (ostensibly one of the more "female" looking hairs in the
line, except that it was designed specifically for a very recognizable male
character).  The original Hermione hair works perfectly for a hair band member,
the old shoulder-length hair works for someone with long straight hair...  There
are four that I can think of that really come across as definitively female, but
that aren't very common:

1) Leia's bun-do, but this isn't exactly a commonly seen style except at events
where people dress up in SW costumes, and the piece had never been used outside
of expensive Millennium Falcon sets until the revised Dagobah X-Wing set (the
Wedge-Wing) showed up.

2) Padme's long braids, which has only been used in two sets from the original
lineup, and one uncommon S@H exclusive set.

3) Hermione's new hair, which looks similar to her previous design, but has hair
pulled back from the sides like the Qui-Gon hair.

4) The old pigtails hair, which hasn't been produced since last millenium!
(Okay, it's only been fifteen years, but still...)

That means that there's only really one distinctly female hair that's common
enough to use in large quantities, and that's the ponytail.  Guys with long hair
often wear ponytails, but not so much when they're sprouting from the top of the
head.