 Dear LEGO / 5540
Re: Building equality one female minifig at a time.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:17:04 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Dave Sterling wrote:
I too hate the lipstick laden minifig heads.  I really don't know any women
that wear that much makeup.  For my female figs, I always try use the gender
neutral heads.  However, I have been impressed with the latest Harry Potter
figs for Hermione.

They already beat Hermione a few years ago with the Studios redhead 2-sider
face, which features a more obvious, but far more girly lipstick design (and
only a faint bit of detailing on the eyes to suggest anything was applied
there):

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3626bpx116

The Catwoman face (at least the two I own) has lipstick that looks pretty close
to the dark-red brick color, which looks a lot more classy than primary red, and
it's probably a lot more forgiving of color correcting the corpse-like skintone
than Neo-Hermione's pale pink lipstick would be (this process being done by
carefully coloring the fleshtone parts with a regular yellow Sharpie marker,
which results in a color that's only slightly darker than standard LEGO yellow):

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=3626bpb257

Additionally, there's a standard yellow head (which I had not been previously
aware of) with very faint pink lipstick that almost doesn't register:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=3626bpb242

...the old Hermione head (darker pink lipstick) which comes in both yellow and
corpse-color:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=3626bpb006

...the last Mary Jane head:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=3626bpb205

...Sky Lane (from XTreme Stunts):

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=3626bpb051

...and Ginny Weasley:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3626bpb160

...and finally, this head shows that you can get away with a nearly-primary red
lipstick color, as long as you don't tramp out the eyes (in this case, there is
a tiny line sticking out from each eye suggesting either eyeliner or mascara,
but more importantly there is a white dot in each eye, which does a lot to
prevent the eyes from looking racoonlike:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=3626bpb190