 Dear LEGO / 5536
Re: Building equality one female minifig at a time.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:18:42 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Ben Fleskes wrote:
In lugnet.dear-lego, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
Building equality one female minifig at a time. (My apologies in advance for
those of you that have already heard this rant.)

<snip>

This can work okay for 'civilians' but so many of the minifigs produced are
workers types defined by the uniform and the uniform is typically gender neutral
and requires a hat of some sort.  Which leaves you with the option of using a
lipstick laden faces to define a female minifig.

Personally, I don't like the lip stick laden minifigs as I don't know that many
women that wear makeup like that.

I too hate the lipstick laden minifig heads.  I really don't know any women that
wear that much makeup.  For my female figs, I always try use the gender neutral
heads.  However, I have been impressed with the latest Harry Potter figs for
Hermione.

<http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?M=hp083 Hermione Fig>

This discussion topic reminds me a little of the difference beween Donald and
Daisy Duck.  Donald basically looks like a duck.  But to define Daisdy Duck as
female, she gets a big pink or purple bow on her head and big time eye makeup.

Is that how 'female' should be portrayed?  Big bows in the hair and makeup?

Cheers,

Ben Fleskes

As I mentioned above, the new Hermione figs are much less "gaudy" than the
traditional "tramped-out" minifig heads.  Now we just need to get Lego to start
including female figs in all sets (Police, Construction, Fire, Trains,
Transportation, Castle, Exo-Force, etc.).  I love the idea of including a male
and female head and hairpiece in each set.  Makes total sense to me!

-Dave