 Dear LEGO / 5529
Re: Building equality one female minifig at a time.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 03:05:08 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
Building equality one female minifig at a time. (My apologies in advance for
those of you that have already heard this rant.)

Dear Lego,

I have always been impressed with TLC's ability to provide quality products as
well as sustaining valuable input towards the educational process (Dacta,
Mindstorms, etc).  This is not something I expect from every toy company, in
fact many fail miserably in this department.

After bringing it up (once again at the most recent brick event) I do understand
that the company is aware of the overwhelming unbalanced gender biassed when it
comes to male figs vrs female figs and that you are working towards balancing
that favouritism.

While Im not suggesting I will buy less of your product, nor trying to even
suggest that I know what is best for the company I do feel this is the perfect
forum to say "I am not convinced you are doing enough."

Frankly, bringing female figs into a few choice sets, such as some of the new
(non-emergency type) "town sets" really isn't enough.  Perhaps your market
research has show that little boys toss the female fig back into the bin, but I
would think that a few discarded figs, would be a acceptable action to for a
company that has always prided themselves in excellence.  Females being left out
of so many themes promotes a very negative message to both genders.

Just a bit of food for thought.  A better alternative to respecting gender
equality would be to draw more females into wanting to build, and stopping with
the mentality that there are building sets that you "deem" for males only. Boys
already desire your products, but many girls are on the borderline, instead of
ignoring them and catering to an already existing audience, consider opening the
market up.  I am convinced that one female fig is not going to stop "Johnny"
from asking his parental units for set "unnamed" for his birthday, but the lack
of female figs does keep many young girls from asking for any Lego at all.

I want to promote the idea of  "Yes Virgina, girls can, do, and will build, and
many of them do it very well" and  I feel right now, Lego is promoting, "Yeah,
ok. Girls can build a few sets too."

At events we host, repetitively I am told by parents of girls that they are
shocked and discouraged by the lack of female figs, and without a doubt that
adversely influences the enjoyment of your product with a huge amount of
potential customers.

There is plenty of research (1) to prove that "manipulatives" such as building
blocks builds skills needed for a successful future of math literacy, spatial
understanding and science education in both males and females.

I think its time that Lego continues their excellence in educational efforts and
rises to the challenge of providing a progressive approach to both genders.  It
takes a good company to be socially aware of the subtle sexual discrimination
that is going on in current product development, and a smart company to actually
do something about it.

Sincerely,
Janey Red Brick
Not only a fan, but one of many female adult builders, and a parent, teacher and
educational advocate.

Well of course you'd say all of that; you're a girl!

Hardy har har.

IMO you're right on the money with pretty much everything you wrote.  I can
think of no real justification for failing to include female minifigs in a much
broader range of sets.  And if TLG is concerned that a one-figure set wouldn't
sell if it "only" had a female minifig, then why not just make it a two-figure
set?  Realistically it should add more than, say, fifty cents to the price, and
it would more or less completely satisfy the concerns of gender-based
under-representation.

One other thing: if it makes you feel any better, female minifigs are grossly
under-represented in all brick-based construction toys available in the US...

Dave!