 Dear LEGO / 1207
Re: Question How do we know if Brad is for real?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 01:06:17 GMT

On Sat, 1 Jan 2000 17:12:58 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

CAN Brad build the organization, build the internal consensus and solve
the logistics problems, put together the business plans and make the
whole thing turn a sufficent profit that it was a good investment
(remember, it's not enough to make money, you have to make as much or
more money than the alternatives available)?

Customer goodwill must count for something too -- granted, it's
long-term profit that's involved there, and typical pointy-haired
managers don't look forward that far, but still..

And the answer is, I just don't know. I'm nervous. Time is short and
there is a lot to do.

Why, particularly, is time short? Is TLG, or you, not going to be
around if he only manages it a year from now? 5 years?

One more question which I think is still begging an answer: What
specifically can WE do to help? Harken back a few days and you'll recall
I suggested that Brad give us some specific questions to brainstorm on.
That hasn't happened, and I am disappointed.

Christmas, new year. Remember, _Brad_ is doing this as a job, not as a
hobby (and thus presumably wants time away from it every once in a
while). I expect him back this week or at most the next (but Brad,
please post _something_ to at least let us know you survived the
fireworks by, say, wednesday the twelfth or so at the latest?)

Charging off on flights of fancy about parts or sets we want,
speculating about whether Brad exists, going off on each other because
we're not reading carefully enough, those are all distractions.

And the problem is, we're all metaphorically pacing around in this
tiny lioncage wondering _what_ exactly we can do to a) ensure the best
possible outcome to us and b) ensure that the outcome also happens.
Finding the balance between feasibility and what we would really like
to happen (ie, any part available at $.01 per at most) is a very fine
line, and we're all trying to tread lightly not to keel over to either
side. So we've got nothing better to do, in this heightened state of
extreme unconscious nervousness, than snap at each other.

At least, that's my take.

We need to pull together and do as much as we can to figure out how to
help, and once we know, DO it! Now more than ever I think that's vital.
Right now, NOTHING we can do as hobbyists is more important if we want
to see lasting change in TLC.

Absolutely. But as we've said before, we need _some_ guidance from
Brad in the area of what is feasible, so we can do suggestions without
too much fear of either impracticability or shooting ourselves in the
foot price-wise...

Jasper