 Dear LEGO / 1200
Re: Question How do we know if Brad is for real?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 23:23:20 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Doyle, I think David's point is, how do we know anything with 100%
certainty?

Without going too deeply into epistimology (we HAVE done just that on
off-topic.debate, you could review it if you're interested) I'd claim
that we know things in general because we believe the evidence of our
senses. We build up webs of trust based on our own perceptions and
experiences. I believe the sun will rise in the east tomorrow because
that's what it does. I beleive California exists because I've seen video
of it, I've been there, I know people that live there...

That stuff can be faked but if you don't believe in California you
believe EVERYTHING is being staged, is what I would say. "the Matrix"
notwithstanding, I tend to believe in the existence of things I see and
people I meet...

Further, I believe Brad Justus exists, because Todd does. Todd has
satisfied himself of Brad's bonafides. When the fake Brad turned up on
RTL he was pretty quickly put to light as a poseur. Without going into
too much detail I have reason to believe that Todd is pretty certain
that Brad is an actual person and that Brad works for Lego.

So for me, it comes down to, do I believe Todd? I do.  I have more
history with him than most of us, I actually have met in the flesh a
person who claims to be Todd (and who gave me parts I paid for in an
auction that Todd supposedly ran, so the corroboration is extremely
solid). Further, everything that Todd has ever said to me of substance
that I could verify has turned out to be true, so when Todd says
something I tend to believe it. But... you need to decide for yourself,
I can't do that for you.

But this whole question of whether Brad exists misses the point.

The REAL question is, can Brad pull off what he's trying to do?

LEGO as a company moves very slowly and what is being proposed might be
considered to be a radical depature from previous paths. (might be! Ha!
WILL be considered extremely radical...)

CAN Brad build the organization, build the internal consensus and solve
the logistics problems, put together the business plans and make the
whole thing turn a sufficent profit that it was a good investment
(remember, it's not enough to make money, you have to make as much or
more money than the alternatives available)?

THAT is the important question.

And the answer is, I just don't know. I'm nervous. Time is short and
there is a lot to do.

One more question which I think is still begging an answer: What
specifically can WE do to help? Harken back a few days and you'll recall
I suggested that Brad give us some specific questions to brainstorm on.
That hasn't happened, and I am disappointed.

Charging off on flights of fancy about parts or sets we want,
speculating about whether Brad exists, going off on each other because
we're not reading carefully enough, those are all distractions.

We need to pull together and do as much as we can to figure out how to
help, and once we know, DO it! Now more than ever I think that's vital.
Right now, NOTHING we can do as hobbyists is more important if we want
to see lasting change in TLC.

Thanks Lar,

I didn't know todd said he was A ok. Thats fine with me if Todd checked it out
and found him to be true. Just with the mountain of messages its hard to find
the one message of confirmation. I read a lot of the letters (which I am a
late to come in on) and could find certain ones due to the volume.

Thank for the answer and since I dealt with you before if you say Todd said
its OK, then I know it Ok.

I appreciate the responce from you, which is mature and helpful and not
sarcastic like some others, I think you will agree whether or not it was meant
to be rude, His reply wasn't a serious answer and had sarcastic undertones. I
find as well as I am sure you do in the world that we have enough rude
sarcasism, and don't need it in a friendly group which we all have something
in common. It getting to the point that I dont know when I want to comment
anymore, for it seems that a lack of civility and maturity has infiltrated the
group, I find more and more private messages between hobbiest seem the most
civil way.

Thanks agian, But Lar, do you think he was being sarcastic? Because I do.

Doyle