 Castle / 887
Re: Castle structure advice...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 14:53:40 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
Paul Davidson wrote:

I'd go with the hinges.  It's always an impressive engineering feat, and
that way you really have *two* castles -- an 360-degree viewable castle for
display (in unopened position), and a double-big cut-away castle to show off
the interior.  Better than a simple cut-away castle for sure!

Someone mentioned Technic pins, which I think is the best way to go for large
modular constructions--could you build it in six or seven • vertically-integrated
sections that then link together with Technic pins?  That way you could pull • it
apart and refigure it any way you liked--though that might be a bit less • organic
than you want.

My new castle is using the Technic pins, it has six modules.  The size of the
foundation, which is 13 bricks high, 2 burps high all around, is 4.5x4.5
baseplates (144x144 studs).  There are 3 "front" modules, 1.5 baseplates wide
and 3 "back" modules, 1, 2, and 1.5 baseplates wide respectively.  The
foundation is topped with green brick baseplates (mostly 12x24), under which is
some "dungeon" like area  and arched hallways - not much to look at but I
didn't want to completely waste the space.

The major motivation for modular design was so that I can get it out of the
room when I move.  My last castle was all one structure, impossible to move
without major deconstruction.  So far I just have the foundation and a back
entry way.  The front entry/drawbridge is just underway.

-Mike