 Castle / 888
Re: New Small Church
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 15:30:50 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:
<snip>

I quite like it! It's very reminicient of a small town Protestant church
(being that it's not overdone and ornate like Catholic cathedrals). The
overall feel of the building is excellent! The only thing I can find any sort
of fault with is the size.. but in terms of that, I'd say it looks perfect in
size for an actual TLC set! I don't think I would be surprised at all if I
suddenly saw it in the 2001 catalog! Looks like a couple hundred pieces ('bout
300-400 or so)So maybe it'd work for a nice $44.99 set :)

Actually you got the feel I was going for (Small Protestant Church) thats
mostly because my favorite Church that we attended when I was growing up was a
very small Methodest/Protestant Church.  We lived in a very predominantly
Catholic Town and the need for a large Methodest Church was not there.  The
church had 5 rows of Pews (Maybe 7) and if it filled the rest stood in the
back.  It was very quaint, friendly, and personable and everyone new everyone
else.

Anyway my model does not resemble that church in any way except size.  Large
ornate churchs have always bothered me a bit in that it is not what I think a
church should be known for.  I am not a very religious person per se but I
don't feel any closer to God in a large ornate cathedral than I do in a small
quaint chapel.  If anything it is the opposite.

Before this goes any more off-topic I will just say that you got the feeling
out of my church that I was looking for and that is a very good thing.  In
terms of it being a good TLC set I don't think so.  I don't think to many kids
are going to go running and say "Mom, Dad, check out the cool Church set!"
although some parents might want to buy it for their kids if they saw it.

I like the cross on roof-- took me a second to figure out how you did it...
but had you not featured any other angles other than the head on view, I bet
I'd still be racking my brain...

I was kind of waiting to see if anyone would mention that cross.  I really like
it.  All those Wild west Indian sets have really come in handy for parts.  I
just love those 1x1 Technic Beems.

Eric

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/