 Castle / 848
Re: Castle structure advice...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 14:15:42 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Stuart Curtis writes:
Over the Xmas holidays, I'm hoping to start work on my medieval village. The
cornerstone of this village will be a big castle (around 3 storeys) on a
mountain of BURPS around 2 storeys high. My quandary for which I seek seasoned
castle-builders' advice is: how to provide access to the castle/mountain's
interior. The three possibilities I have come up with are:

1) Cross-section/open-back, like most Town buildings.

2) Hinges halfway across the structure to open it in two sections.

3) Plates on top of each storey, so that each floor can be removed.

Each one has its own pro's and con's of course, so I was just hoping to get a
few opinions from other castle architects before I decide which way to go.

Now I can't really say I am a "castle architect" because I have just started
modeling castle themed buildings but I just completed (Minus about 12 arches I
am still in search of) a small Church/Chapel and I used a different technique
all together.  I don't know how much this will help you because you are
creating a much larger structure.  What I did was I created the Church in 2
sections (front and back) and used 1x1 Technic Beams with Technic pins to hold
the 2 sections together.  This allows me to have access to the interior while
still having a solid 4 walled building for display because the beams blend into
the walls.

For something as big as what you are planning I guess I would suggest the Hinge
solution if the model is going to be deep.  If it is going to be a shallow
model option 1 might work great.  I just find that the deeper the model the
harder it is to reach your arm in to make modifications.

I think your 3rd options has merits for smaller models but for larger, heavier,
models I don't particularly like the idea because there seems to be more of a
chance for disaster when removing levels.

Eric,

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/