 Castle / 846
Re: Castle structure advice...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 13:56:43 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Stuart Curtis writes:
Over the Xmas holidays, I'm hoping to start work on my medieval village. The
cornerstone of this village will be a big castle (around 3 storeys) on a
mountain of BURPS around 2 storeys high. My quandary for which I seek seasoned
castle-builders' advice is: how to provide access to the castle/mountain's
interior. The three possibilities I have come up with are:

1) Cross-section/open-back, like most Town buildings.

2) Hinges halfway across the structure to open it in two sections.

3) Plates on top of each storey, so that each floor can be removed.

Each one has its own pro's and con's of course, so I was just hoping to get a
few opinions from other castle architects before I decide which way to go.

Cheers in advance.

Stu C.
University of Glasgow

I guess one question you need to ask is how static/dynamic do you want your
model to be?  Are you going to be moving people around on a daily basis or are
you going to just let it be for months on end.  If your model is going to be
dynamic, which I hope, I would do something like option #1 and 2 combined.  It
might be a good idea to build the front and the sides as one complete piece
and hinge only the rear wall.  This way at least the hinges are on the back
side and out of view.

On the other hand, if your model will be a static one, I would suggest option
#3.

M2C

Dan M.