 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4785
Re: LDraw-to-Raves (was: POV in Part)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 11:46:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Paul Easter wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Michael Horvath wrote:
I think putting them into one file would be better.

I'm torn - using a single file in POV-Ray is definitely more convenient,
and 750 definitions don't seem to be too much overhead for the parsing
engine to chew on.  But for (later) updates to the wrapper library,
individual files would work better.

I think the 1:1 aproach would be better.

Hmm, thinking more about this, it could be done with individual files,
and then a single master file that includes all the individual wrapper
files.  The master file could be auto-generated whenever the
wrapper-library is updated.  That would be convenient for modelers,
easier for maintenance.

Do files have to be named explicitly or is there a notion of includepath or
classpath like searching in POV? If so...

Would it be possible to combine approaches? Have the base parts all in one file
but each release of revs is in another, and all the files are searched.

However I am thinking that maybe there isn't such a search for components and
you have to explicitly name every include off (somewhere, perhaps nested). If so
maybe a hybrid STILL adds value, the master include names off one big file (for
space saving reasons) and a bunch of smaller delta/addon/change files.