 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4732
Re: POV in Part
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 16:02:03 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:

If people are really hot on POV-code parts, could we start working on a
fully LDraw-compatible POV-Ray library of parts?

I'm not too keen on this idea.  While POV-Ray is a nice tool and freeware, I'd
like to avoid dedicating ourselves to one tool, not to mention the size increase
on all the files.  If all you want is nice looking parts for POV try a combo of
L3P,LGEO,and Anton Raves Lego POV library.

The 'dedicating ourselves to one tool' aspect is why I'd rather not
allow POV-Ray code to be embedded in official LDraw part files.

What I was suggesting was a separate library of POV-Ray parts that was
designed from the start to be fully compatible with LDraw -- same
coordinate system, same measurements, same orientation of parts.  Plus,
it would be community-owned, and allow on-going updating.

However, getting an L3P-type interface to Anton Raves' library of parts
would be very nice, too.  I've got an LDraw2Raves translation table for
pages 1-5 of Anton's parts index, and I'm about halfway done writing
transforms for page 1.

Anyone else want to play this game with me?

Steve