 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4721
Re: POV in Part
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:09:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Orion Pobursky wrote:

I'm not too keen on this idea.  While POV-Ray is a nice tool and freeware,
I'd like to avoid dedicating ourselves to one tool,

I agree to that, but since POV-code will be between IFPOV and IFNOTPOV codes
will it matter that much?

not to mention the size increase on all the files.

There I disagree: the reason I ask is because of the macaroni-brick. I tried
(fairly succesfull) to write the main part as POV-code and it is just 35 lines
and half of them only contain a "}". True you'll get LDraw-code + POV-code but
since POV has more primitives POV-code will be smaller.

I'm not saying all bricks should contain POV-code; standard bricks, tiles and
plates are fine by me and some less standard parts are beautifull programmed
too. But in some cases I think a part would benefit from having some POV-code in
it. Look at the 9V train motor wheels for example.

If all you want is nice looking parts for POV try
a combo of L3P,LGEO,and Anton Raves Lego POV library.

Hmm, there are 2 problems: the LGEO lib hasn't been updated for a long time and
Anton's parts are different from the LGEO parts (take a look in the code of both
libs and you'll see). I would opt for Anton's lib (hè, he's Dutch too you know!)
since that is bigger now than the LGEO lib.

Jeroen