 CAD / 7167
Re: A couple of tutorial items (Was: Known bugs on the site and how to report new ones)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 08:46:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
2:  In Jonathan Knudsen's "Drawing LEGO Models",
http://www.ldraw.org/reference/tutorials/drawing , there's another POV
camera snippet where he wants to move the camera away from the model.  I was
going to trash this up and down, how Jonathan handles the vaxis_rotate()
code, but then I realized, he's right.  The l3p-generated camera block can
be intimidating.  So...I'll whip up a quickie tutorial on that.

I don't know when Jonathan Knudsen wrote his tutotial,
but the camera angle option -ca has been there since January 1999.
http://home16.inet.tele.dk/hassing/l3p_ca.html
- or he just overlooked it.
In stead of uncommenting the orthographic keyword,
it's better to use e.g. -ca1.
The effect is the same, but you can still enjoy L3P's
automatic camera positioning.

The light sources can be set with the -l option,
color 256 (256+16*0+0) can be used for black rubber,
color 375 (256+16*7+7) can be used for grey rubber,
so IMHO very little tweaking remains.

I agree the camera block can be intimidating, I hope
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=6732
will help.
/Lars