 CAD / 14790
Re: Why LDraw.org doesn't use ldconfig.ldr ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:41:00 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
   Case in point, http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/58119.dat where Medium Stone and Dark Stone appear the same...

That’s a good question. The Parts Tracker probably doesn’t use ldconfig.ldr, because the image-generator uses a custom script to maintain a combined library of official & unofficial files, which predates ldconfig.ldr.

I’m also not sure the version of ldglite we’ve installed is recent enough to support ldconfig.ldr.

I’ll look into the issue.

Steve

consider also a switch to LDView as rendering engine; it does a fine job for the MOTM:

Yeah, it might be time to make the switch. Ldglite has never been updated to use ldconfig.ldr (although it probably wouldn’t difficult). It currently only supports the older ldlite config file ldliterc.dat with ldlite COLOR metacommands to redefine the colors. For a while there were some up to date versions of that file kicking around here.

I don’t remember what platform the scripts run on. Was it BSD with OSMesa for the opengl support? It might be a little bit of work to build an ldview executable to run on that, but shouldn’t be too hard. You’ll want to track the resource usage though. With an automated background process, you don’t want to use up everything and bring the web server and such to a halt while rendering.

Don