 Administrative / General / 1792
Re: Cracking down on unauthorized image links
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:00:50 GMT

Hi Todd,

you wrote:

Instead of embedding images hosted on other peoples' servers, people should
link to the other peoples' web pages -- or make a local copy of the image
they want (presumably with permission from the copyright owner) and host it
on their own homepage (on geocities or the auction site or wherever).

Even though I have to admit that I have used direct image links (but with
credit for the source) in some of my eBay auctions, I have to agree with this
argument, and will copy images in the future.

The robust, long-term solution is to serve the JPEG images selectively to
on-site pages and reject them to off-site pages, using an Apache webserver
module called "mod_rewrite" and looking at the HTTP referrer field on-the-
fly; or invoking a CGI script whenever an image is requested, and optionally
doing more advanced filtering.

Looks like you already have that cgi script in place now -- would you mind to
share it with less skilled web authors like me?

Greetings

Horst