 Administrative / General / 1777
Re: Cracking down on unauthorized image links
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 19:17:45 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, trees@utk.edu (John Morgan) writes:
I saw today your oops gif on ebay and thought its a good step. you might
consider adding to the gif under the sad face:
unauthorized direct links to lugnet images is prohibited use of our
bandwidth please connect using(insert your url here)
Or other words to that effect.
The impression I got when seeing the image was that something happened
on the server that the image wasnt available (re 404 file not found error
from Netscape) rather than a message saying ...someone is misusing my
"paid for" band width and I would like you to stop.
Just my perception here from the ebay buyers side

OK, thanks for pointing that out.  I added the text:

   Direct Image Links Not Supported

Note that "Not Supported" is more technically accurate than "Not Allowed" or
"Not Permitted", since the detection mechanism (which relies on the browser
stating the referring page honestly and correctly) is not 100% foolproof.

I'd rather not mention anything about "unauthorized" links or bandwidth
usage in the image, as it tends to imply that there may exist some
authorization scheme.

Here is the new image:

   http://www.lugnet.com/oops.gif

How much closer is that to being less confusing?  (I realize it's not 100%
clear, but that's what the URL is for...the image needs to stay relatively
small in size -- the eyes and the mouth compact very nicely as a GIF, but
the text compresses very poorly.)

--Todd