 Administrative / General / 1786
Re: Cracking down on unauthorized image links
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 21:30:34 GMT

For backward compatibility (for a very short time -- maybe a few days or a
week or two), the old image directory will stay in place at its current
location -- so that the old direct-image links will continue to work (for
now).  This gives a transition period while auctions close and old links
fade out, while still making it very difficult for anyone to add any new
unauthorized image links.

I'll leave the old directory at its current location for as long as I can
stand it -- then I'll rename it, moving it to a location outside of the web
server's area of access but still inside of the the CGI script's area of
access.  This will then finally break any remaining unauthorized links.

OK, this occurred today.  At one point earlier today, there were three
different eBay auctions, each of which accounting for more than 100
accesses per day of various set images (6988, 4011, etc.).

Since the first changepoint, the outgoing traffic to these off-site direct
links has been cut in half.  This change today ought to cut out 90% or so
of the remainder.

It was just a one-line shell command to move a directory.

--Todd